Come and join DESK School of Science, make your steps towards prosperous and successful future. You have the opportunity to obtain all necessary information directly from scientists!
is a unique opportunity for high school and college students to taste real science! You will be able to participate in scientific experiments along with the best young scientists of Bogomoletz Institute of Physiology NAS of Ukraine!
- DNA – the material carrier of hereditary information in a cell. Methods of DNA extraction, evaluation of its amount and purity.
- Modern methods of evaluating the structure of genes: polymerase chain reaction (PCR), restriction analysis, gel electrophoresis.
- How do genes work? Expression of genes. Isolation of total RNA, evaluation of purity and concentration.
- Modern methods of evaluation of genes: estimation of the level of RNA expression by PCR in real time.
- What is an epigenetic: methylation of DNA. DNA isolation and bisulfite conversion for DNA methylation analysis.
- Epigenetics: acetylation of histones. Isolation of chromatin for the analysis of acetylation of histones.
- What is the result of the work of genes in cells? Protein structure, synthesis, folding, transport. Isolation of proteins, electrophoresis, immunofluorescence detection methods.
- Systems of destruction of proteins in cells: the role of proteasome and lysosomes. Determination of activity of proteasome.
- Molecular physiology of fertilization. Selection of mouse oocytes and meiotic division simulation.
- Genetic engineering: cloning of genes in bacterial systems, obtaining genetic vectors.
- Isolation and culture of neonatal rat cardiomyocytes.
- Gene transfection, RNA interference.
- Investigation of various types of cell death (necrosis, apoptosis and autophagy) in the modeling of anoxia-reoxygenation.
- Principles of searching of scientific information, or how not to be misled: the basics of critical thinking.
- Bioinformatics, principles of working with databases.
- Molecular mechanisms of liver function. Determination of the level of bilirubin in the blood using “Nanodrop” spectroscopy.
- Mechanisms of blood cell functioning. Separation of various blood cells (erythrocytes, neutrophils, lymphocytes, monocytes).
- Microcirculation changes in mesentery of frog during inflammation.
- A bit about immunity: neutrophil extracellular extracellular traps and their importance in immune deffens.
- Physiology of breathing. Methods for determining the parameters of the respiratory system: spirometry and veloergometry.
- Starling`s experiment on the heart of frog, a change in cardiac activity in response to overloading resistance or volume.
- The isolated perfused heart according to Langendorff technique, testing of cardiotropic drugs.
- Research of parametres of working rat heart using Millar Instruments microcatheters.
- Physiology of the cardiovascular system: electrocardiography, rheography polycardiogram.
- Structure of a neuron- building block of the brain.
- Neuron electrical activity, part 1- electric currents on neuronal cells.
- Neuron electrical activity, part 2- action potential.
- Brain slices preparation.
- Measuring the electrical activity of the brain slices –“epilepsy in a Petri dish”
- Neurosurgery, electrodes implantation into the rat hippocampus, part 1.
- Neurosurgery, electrodes implantation into rat hippocampus, part 2
- Electrical activity of the brain –rhythms of the brain, EEG.
- Artificial cerebro-spinal fluid – experimental solution preparation. pH and molar concentration.
- Electronic devices in neurophysiology, part 1.
- Electronic devices in neurophysiology, part 2.
- Neurophysiological disorders – modeling the epileptic seizures.
- Behavioral tests on rats. Open field test.
- Behavioral tests on rats – assessment of anxiety level – elevated plus maze test.
- Behavioral tests on rats – social adaptation in rats.
- Memory and navigation – Morris water maze test.
- Neuronal cells cultivation -practicum.
- Hippocampal neurons culture preparation.
- Electrical activity in rats during behavioral tests.
- Effects of neurotropic substances on rat behavior.
- Mind and consciousness. “Mind Flex” game.
- IQ assessment – examples of questions and rules how to answer.
- Training the rat -conditional and Skinner learning.
- Discussion “The nature of consciousness”.
Cardiovascular system. – Tatyana Lapikova. Educational online platform DESK
Method of RNA Selection – Tetyana Drevytska. Educational online platform DESK.
How does the human brain work? – Olga Zapukhlyak. Educational online platform DESK.
Memory. – Andriy Cherninsky. Educational online platform DESK.
Human brain – Andriy Cherninsky. Educational online platform DESK.